Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fast Flow... Is the Mess Worth the Convenience?

As anyone that is alive and can read knows, Nick and I are constantly in search of the trick for sleeping baby at (now) 6 weeks.  Unfortunately, it is considered "Taboo" to give them copious amounts of Benadryl at this stage in their lives so I've been stuck reading tons of books on the subject.  Nick, who is away at basketball camp, called me the other day with what he felt was the golden ticket (Thanks Britney Spears) for our woes.  "I talked to the White Knoll coach and he said he and his wife read this book called "Babywise" or something".  He then proceeded to tell me how this method worked.  Hi Nick.  Read the first post on here.  It's what we're doing kiddo.  If anyone watches Modern Family and knows about the episode when Claire is upset with her husband and he doesn't know why, then you know why I was miffed by this.  God bless him for trying though.
Later on after this conversation, my mom and I go home with Ava Claire and put on her sweet pajamas with the little puppies embroidered on them with ballet slippers.  She's so sweet and cuddly.  I try to get her to go to bed and it fails miserably.  I like to think it was because Cami came sliding in the bedroom all Tom Cruise in Risky Business style because she saw (gasp) a cat, but it was actually because I was tired of rocking and put her down too soon.  Nana then took her and she was out instantly. Of course.  I brushed Nana up on her Babywise skills since she was taking what is usually Nick's shift of anything before 4 am.  She passed the test and was allowed to tend to her. (Let's be honest- I probably would have approved Brice to feed her if it meant I got 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep). I sleep soundly for 3.5 hours since the Gamecocks kept me up past my bedtime (WooHoo) and woke to the blissful sounds of  Ava having baby dreams.  I prepared her bottle and decided to go with the fast flow nipple.  Now, here is a side story to that. Nick and I got thicker formula because we figured she'd sleep better with that on her tummy but it wouldn't flow through her newborn nipples so I went in search of a Medium flow nipple.  Well, while at Target I see they have a "Thick Liquid" nipple and think "Duh. that's what I'm here for" and buy that.  Well, in teeny tiny print you find out this is super-ultra-funnel fast flow and probably should only be used for drunks in 5 Points to avoid going into shock after 2 hours of no alcohol so that it gets in their system adequately. Nick found a "Notch System" that is used so we cut out a little of the quickness but it's pretty messy. Nana did not like the messiness and chose to wait the 20-30 minutes it takes Ava to finish one of her slow bottles.  At 4 am, I made the executive decision to go 5 points drunk on her.  She finished her 4 ounces in about 3 minutes.  She didn't want to burp but definitely wanted "mommy human" so we returned to bed (CPS is not reading this I hope) and prepared to watch I Love Lucy.  2 minutes into a Lucy crying episode, Ava starts squirming.  I cuddle her and pet her and pick her up from her cozy little nook on my chest and look at her sweet little face.... just in time to have her projectile vomit all over me, the walls, the comforter, and I'm pretty sure Brice got a little on him.  It was seriously like something out of The Exorcist. I cried for mom and she came to take baby and clean her. 
The entire time, Ava didn't flinch.  It was like she was saying "That's what you get for trying to speed through this process woman. Next time you'll savor the time you get to spend 25 minutes loving on me at 4 am". 

Point, Ava Claire.

No comments:

Post a Comment