Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How Time Flies!

It has been such a long time since I have been able to post on here.  Every time I have sat down to do it, Little Miss Ava Claire has had other things in mind. It is so crazy that she is 3 weeks old! She is such a sweet little girl and her personality is amazing.  Here is a quick recap of our first few weeks. In the hospital Nick and I took full advantage of having her sent back to the nursery during the night so we could sleep but I was so excited to see her for her next feeding that I didn't sleep at all.  She was born on Monday and we went home on Thursday.  Breastfeeding was not easy for me and we had to supplement her with formula pretty much from day 3.  I began pumping all feedings and that was exhausting because I still was not producing enough milk for her. I ended up getting a stomach virus on Day 5 of Ava's life and had to stop pumping completely because I was dehydrated.  What a nightmare that was! I was so upset because I couldn't take care of her.  Once I got over my stomach issues and tried to pump again, it was disastrous.  We are now at a 4 times pumping per day to give her about 2 feedings per day. Not fun but I know that even a little breast milk is better than none at all. 
Ava has always been a fussy sleeper.  She would wiggle her way out of swaddling so Nick and I assumed she didnt like it.  Since Nick has been out of school, he has taken the night shift feedings (11 and 2) and Ava does not want to settle down after her 2 am feeding.  She wants to be held until she falls asleep and then she doesn't want to be put in her bassinet and will cry.  Needless to say, this is frustrating for all parties involved.  Nick swaddled her the other night in a last ditch effort and she fell asleep after a short cry.  This is much easier for him- I can't stand to hear her cry at all and want to pick her up and kiss her every time.  Nick, being the teacher, says "We're not teaching her anything when we do that".  As upsetting as it is for me, I know he has a point but it's still hard. 
Upon the advice of a friend, I have read "On Becoming Babywise" which is controversial but we are trying to follow it as closely as possible.  At 3 weeks old, it's difficult to follow it exactly but we are working hard on her "Eat, Wake, Sleep" pattern during the day. 
Nick has taken to fatherhood so well.  She is definitely going to be a Daddy's Girl.  As soon as he walks in the room, she is wide-eyed, looking for him.  He instantly picks her up and talks to her.  He dances and sings to her, reads to her and he gives her the best baths.  There really isn't anything he won't do for her which is amazing since we've all heard husbands say "I'm not changing diapers".  I am very lucky that he's so hands on with her.
At her 2 week checkup, we found out that she is in the 90th percentile for her height (21.25 in.) and around the 60th for her weight (9lbs 3 oz.).  She is definitely taking after Daddy with her height!  I'm sure he is excited to put a basketball in her hands but I suggested volleyball.
Here are some pictures of sweet Ava through the 3 weeks.
This is Ava Claire day 1.  This is our "Human Time".  The nurse said "Babies want human time too" and it stuck.  We still call it that.  It's basically Skin to Skin contact to make her feel safe.
Ava's first professional picture. She's such a ham!

2 weeks old! Cheering on the Gamecocks in the SEC Tournament
3 weeks old! Wearing her Beatles onesie.

1 comment: